- Innovation - NOT instant perfection. Launch early and often- get to the market.
- Share everything you can - Information is KEY and powerful.
- You’re brilliant - we are hiring. Hire generalists that can speak to all areas of your organization. Specialists create silos.
- A license to pursue your dreams - Give people a choice as to where they would like to invest their time and thinking.
- Ideas come from everywhere - The Power of many wins.
- Don’t politic - use data. Consensus of data wins not power or hierarchy.
- Creativity loves constraint - stay in the sandbox and focus on direction/output.
- Users and Usage are Key - Money will follow.
- Don’t kill projects - morph them. Adjust or tweak and move on.
I have found that the notions origionally were the handiwork of Marissa Mayer who is supposedly to be one of the brightest and the best at Google. If you want to read more about her I’ve attached some links below. BusinessWeek apparently liked Google’s Nine notions as well. Links: BusinessWeek May 17, 2007 - Nine Notions of Innovation, Articles on Marissa Mayer - Businessweek: June 19, 2006 - Marissa Mayer: The Talent Scout and Businessweek: Oct 03, 2005 - Managing Googles Idea Factory.